Sunday 14 August 2011

Bruder Klaus Chapel by Peter Zumthor

After talking to my tutors on Thursday, they told me that my idea of the hole at the top of the structure linking to spirituality was similar to the Bruder Klaus Chapel by Peter Zumthor which also had a whole in the ceiling for a beam of light. I googled it and loved what I saw! I also felt a little proud that I came up with a similar idea to a world renowned architect...



What i extremely like about this chapel is that from the outside, you don't expect the inside to be like it is - having a hole in the ceiling to allow a beam of light to seep through during the day - making it a nice surprise for people visiting it. This contrasts to my current idea, as the exterior cone shape reflects, and in some sense warns the visitor of what the interior is like. I think that this is necessary in my structure as a palm reading market stall is not easily recognised as there is no symbol, like the Christian Cross on the chapel that establishes it's function for the viewer before entering it. Therefore I think it is good to warn the viewer in my case, of what to expect when they enter the stall (a dark small space with a beam of light coming through a gap in the roof) so that they are not thrown off when they enter it.

I also love how the tall height of the building further reinforces the spirituality idea with the beam of light being more refined and further away, making enlightenment seem a lot more precious and harder to achieve. I may think of pursuing a similar verticality in my stall to show this idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment