Thursday 4 August 2011

1:1 Model of Detail

For this model, I decided to concentrate on a particular section of the folds of rugs. I was about to do it the same way as I had for the 1:5 model (interior folds - structural beams - cloth to cover structural elements) when my tutors gave me an idea to use the folds/rolls of rugs as interior AND exterior cladding. 


Initially, I had tried to glue the cloth I had gotten for this model (it had longer threads and were extremely soft to feel, making it suitable for the 1:1 scale) directly to the wood. The effect wasn't as good as I had expected as the softness and bounciness on the folds that I had wished for ans were communicated through my 1:5 model was somewhat lost. It was too rigid and hard, not fulfuilling my purpose of comfort and warmth at all.


Finally, I worked out a method that worked perfectly.
I made the rolls out of thin wooden panel, which I covered with cotton pleats, over which I glued a layer of non-stick, rubber mat which I finally covered with the soft reddish cloth. This method made the rolls extremely soft and comforting. 


The rolls were arranged close to each other and I hammered 2 nails on either side of the roll into the wood to secure the rolls into place and to make them more durable. I really love the softness of this model and in my opinion, it fulfils my purpose of evoking a warm and comfortable feeling in my place of waking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment