Wednesday 28 September 2011

Further steps

I developed my design further with inspiration largely from my precedent building (Carpenter's Centre by Le Corbusier), my previous projects' themes (warmth and intimacy) as well as the context of my site.


I decided that the layout of my building would be in 2 parts:
1. the conference room for the partners to have meetings with their clients. (including the bathrooms and entrance corridor)
2. The working space of the 5 spaces (including an elevator that transports workers to the roof which is also used as a terrace/balcony). 

I have made these 2 spaces slightly divided by a glass semi partition with a strip of wood so that the partners have some privacy from the conference room when they are not needed for a meeting. But in saying this, this partition is not as solid or definite, warmly welcoming clients to the business and gifting them the chance to observe how the business operates, creating a new close and intimate relationship between the clients and partners. 

The roof above the 1st part is slightly more elevated than the roof of the 2nd part. The 2nd part of the office has a lower ceiling and higher floor than the 1st part with a small step linking these areas. These aspects are visible to viewers on the outside through the ceiling exceeding the boundaries created by the siding of my building. This makes the building more inviting and exudes more warmth rather than if the roof and the siding fully blocked each other out. Furthermore, the uneven layered look of the different ceiling and floor heights corresponds with the layered look of the Carpenter Centre by Le Corbusier. 


The siding of my building consists of a top (glass) and bottom (wood) parts

For the wooden look for the siding of my building, instead of selecting one of the default textures, I decided to make my own texture on photoshop using wood-like colours - brown and beige. 



No comments:

Post a Comment