Thursday 16 June 2011

Details and Requirements

  • Alpha Channel incorporated in design:

I have put my alpha channel as a texture on a rotating decoration piece overhead. The entire shape is transparent except for the alpha channel texture applied on it. The colour of the design of my alpha texture has been tinted red. I did this by uploading the Targo file of my alpha channel on SL for L$10, after which I used it as a texture on this surface.
  • Offset Material incorporated in design:


My offset material has been applied on to the back of the 6 cones around my space. (The cones are to display my journals' websites and blog posts). I did this by uploading the Targo file of my offset material on SL for L$10, after which I used it as a texture on this surface.

  • Interactive Element incorporated in design:
I have designed a network including a light switch (on the flat panel towards the left of the picture) and 7 spheres on the corners of my space that glow when it is touched.I did this with help from a friend's blog (Marina). She had the specific scripts needed for the light switch, rotor and the lights itself which I applied on the various structures, after which I linked them together by pressing Ctrl-L.

This picture was taken when the lights were switched off:


And when the lights are switched on:


I have another interactive element in my design - the balls that change color when touched. The 4 large red balls on each of the 4 corners have been modified to change colour from red to green, and back to red after 8 seconds when touched. This was done using a linden script from scratch for second life (S4SL) detailing that after it is touched, it will change colour to green (a certain number) and change back to red after 8 seconds.


Particle system incorporated in design:

I have incorporated a particle system into my design by having small gray spheres on top of the lights (light brown spheres) that emit particles. The particle system that I have chosen is called "fire" and is basically like yellow smoke giving the area a very peaceful ambience. I incorporated this particle system by travelling to a specific location in SL which had many different particle varieties. I tried all of the samples and imported their scripts after which i tried each one of them on these spheres and decided that the "fire" variety suited it best. 




  • Interesting Media Texture incorporated in design:
I think that an interesting media texture in my design is the distorted shape which is transparent and has my alpha channel on it as a texture and rotates overhead (due to a script in S4SL). 



Another example of an interesting media texture is the horizontal panels on the perimeter of my space. This texture is interesting as it is slightly transparent and also has a slight glow which makes it stand out and also makes it aesthetically pleasing in my opinion. It can also be used as an arm rest when users are observing the surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment